14 October 2008

happiness for.

an important thing to learn in friendship is what i will refer to as happiness for.
this is something i'm only beginning to understand.
happiness for my friends' happiness.
happiness for my friends' success.
happiness for my friends' adventures and experiences.

so often it's easier to maintain a friendship level of happiness if.
happiness if i'm enjoying the activities of the friendship.
happiness if i feel more complete because of the friendship.
happiness if the friendship serves as a benefit to me.

it's so natural to base a friendship on what i can take away, but that is not friendship at all.
i dont want to be a friend who uses others to validate myself.
i want to be genuinely happy for my friends' happiness.

not to live in a state of envy or covetousness.
not to become bitter when the happiness they possess is not my own.

and if i can come to this place, i believe it will be beneficial for us all.
because to truly enjoy the friendship of others without ulterior motives or expectations will in turn make me a much happier and friendly person.

No comments: